How to start event registration for virtual or in-person events in 2022
Let’s say you want to start event registrations for your virtual or in-person event. You’ve decided to use an awesome event registration software, Oveit . But now the big question – how to start event registration?
First of all, thank you for choosing us. This is going to be as easy as it can get. At the end you will start registering visitors free of charge and receive payments in your account instantly.
If you need a video tutorial, we made one you can see below. Otherwise – keep on reading this post.
Let’s get started.
A checklist on how to start event registration
The first thing you will see when you start your account with Oveit is a short checklist with the things you need to do before starting registering visitors to your event.
It looks like this:
There’s basically 3 things you need to do to start your event registration. They are the things you see above:
- Set up billing information: this is your company or individual details. Oveit is a special software that allows you to sell tickets directly to your customers. This means they will need to know who they’re buying things from. This is the section where you’ll be setting this information in. Don’t worry – you only set it once.
- Set up a payment processor: A payment processor is a company, like PayPal and Stripe that helps you receive payments instantly, directly into your account. If you have a PayPal, Stripe or Crypto account, this is where you set it up. This is a very important part of how to start event registration, if you’re planning to receive payments for your event.
- Create an event: This part is self-explanatory. You will have to enter some details about your event, like name and the date it takes place in, set up tickets and share the registration link with your potential visitors.
As you notice above, there’s a fourth step as well. This is the “select pricing plan”. By default, Oveit automatically registers you with the free event registration plan, which allows you to register up to 300 visitors per event, on an unlimited number of events, free of any Oveit charge. If you receive payments, you will be charged a commission by PayPal or Stripe.
If you checked all details above, you’re basically set and you know how to start event registration for all your next events.
However, Oveit is a powerful tool, with extensive options that allow you to create the perfect event. Let’s have a look at some of the most important ones:
Once you’ve started your first event you will get access to your Dashboard. Here you will see an aggregate of all your ticket sales and registrations, once they start happening.
If you don’t have any events the first thing you should do is click on “Create event”
How to start event registration: Your new event
Now, let’s move on to creating an actual event. You can either click on the button My events and you will be taken to the Event Management chart or you can click on Create an Event button and this will take you to the core part of Oveit.
You’ll see that creating an event is extremely easy. You have 4 main steps and two other ones in case you want to use two additional functions: Registration forms and Badge design (these are more advanced topics on how to start event registration).
The first step is entitled General Settings. Here you set up general details on your event, things such as the event’s name, start and end date and where it takes place. By the way – if you host a virtual event – just add “Virtual” or “Online” in the Location/address input.
There’s several other things you can fill in. An example would be “No seating”. This means you will not have a seating map. If you need a seating map just choose “With seating” and find out here how to set up a seating chart.
You will need to add a start and end date for your event. If you’re selling tickets for a venue, such as a theme park that sells tickets all year round, just tick “Perpetual”. This will allow visitors to buy tickets whenever they feel like visiting you.
There’s several other more advanced features, such as registration forms or badges. If you need these, be sure to book a guided tour of these features.
Adding tickets to my event registration
Next steps on how to start event registration guide: tickets.
You can split the types of event registrations you will accept with different types of tickets. Oveit allows all sorts of discounts and addons with your ticket but you only need to know one thing. At its basics you will just need to add one ticket, free or paid and click “Save”. This takes you to a list where you can add more tickets by clicking “New ticket category”
Sometimes you may need a more advanced ticketing setup when you start event registration. If so – check out our post on advanced ticket types or contact us for a guided tour or more advanced features and benefits.
How to start event registration: checkout settings
There’s a lot of options on this page. Please don’t get confused. We’ve set up the page in such a way that our default check marks do the work for you. You can contact us if you need a more in-depth explanation or more advanced configuration.
Usually, what you want to customise is the follow up email subject and content. Basically your message to your future visitors:
This is where you customise what your visitors will receive in their email after they registered.
Above you can see a chart with variables and their description. The computer-code looking things are tags you can use to personalise the email content. For example: if you’re holding a virtual event you can add [tickets_codes] in the email body to display the registration code your guests will use to access your virtual event.
Finally, you have the order confirmation page. Here you can opt to send a Thank you message that will be displayed after the customer has purchased the ticket or you can send him to a custom created URL on your website. To do that, just add the link and all is done.
How to preview your event registration
The final event registration setup step is the Preview section below:
Step no. 4 allows you to preview your registration widget prior to publishing it. You can play around with colors and fonts and brand the event registration according to your wishes.
Hit publish when you are ready to start registration and you will be taken to…
Payment processor integration
If you haven’t done so already, this is where you connect your payment processor. This is usually PayPal or Stripe. This way we can help you receive payments instantly. It’s very, very simple:
- If you use PayPal: press Activate PayPal integration: In the next step you will add your PayPal email address and name. This helps Oveit to know where to send funds paid by your customers.
- If you use Stripe: press “Activate Stripe integration”. This takes you to your Stripe account where you can check whether you want to safely accept payments with Oveit.
All of our transactions are handled by our partners (e.g. PayPal and Stripe). Your money or your customers payment data is never stored with us.
If you haven’t done so already, you will need to fill in your billing information. As you sell directly to your visitors, they will need to know who they’re buying from. Oveit issues invoices for all purchases on your behalf. Here’s what you need to fill in, only once, as you start selling:
If this is a bit too complicated when you start your event, just reach out to us and let’s set up a call where we can guide you through the setup process, step by step. One of our customer success staff will help you get everything set up.
Final step: Copy, paste and embed your event in your website
The last step: start your event registration. All you have to do now is get the event on your website and make it available to customers or point them to your event registration on Oveit. To do that, click on ‘My events’ in the bar, right near the Oveit logo. You will see a list of your events. You can start your registration in two ways:
- Point visitors to your event registration page on Oveit. Click the “Preview” link and share the URL with your visitors on social media or your website.
- Embed the registration on your website: you will notice that every event has an “</> Embed” button below it. Click on that button and you’ll find two embed codes (one available for light theme and one for dark theme – the theme refers to your website visual theme). Just copy the code you need and paste it on your website. The embed is responsive and works with most website management software so you won’t have any problems putting it on your website in just a couple of seconds.
And that’s it! You managed to start your event registration and start receiving event registrations. Now visitors can register, purchase tickets and attend your in-person or virtual event.
Article written by .
Mike Dragan is the cofounder and COO of Oveit and works daily on providing better tools for live experiences. Mike has a background in computer science and loves building digital products.